Sunday, April 18, 2010

Some what like me....

To start, I really enjoyed watching the movie “Tortilla Soup”. The whole idea of how close a family can be really moved me. Getting to know the three sisters was interesting because I tried to read each one of them before it went into details. The character which caught my attention immediately was Maribel, The youngest of the three daughters in this movie. Her free spirited way of living, and the way she won her way into Andy’s heart reminds me of myself. Also the fact that she was pretty confused about her life and which way to go after high school relates to me. In the very beginning I assumed she was all into love and finding out how it works. I also saw she was kind of the small rebel in the family when she got home late for dinner. She was, but she was not ashamed of it. She was willing to stand up for her own choices.
Maribel kept me going, but after a while my attention moved over to Carmen. In the beginning of the film she comes off as a professional business woman and very flirtatious. It seemed she knew what she wanted and was sure about the way she chose to live. As the movie continued I realized I was wrong. What she really wanted was to follow her dad’s footsteps and become a chef. Cooking was her passion but she did not choose to pursue a career in it to respect her father’s decisions. She also didn’t believe in being married to a man, nor depend on one to live her life. Those two details caught my attention because I can also relate to it. Both characters are different yet similar in the fact that they did not know exactly what they wanted to do with their lives. The only difference was that Maribel was not afraid to show her true self to her father, and Carmen was. I cannot choose a favorite yet because I fell in love with both their attitudes and when I put it all in one it reminds me a lot of myself. But for the most part I can say the characterization on Maribel’s part was great, they way she spoke, dressed and acted at home all gave away some sort of hint on how she really was within.

No comments:

Post a Comment